The new blog design is finally up. It’s still not finalized, as there are some features and content missing, but even at this “beta” stage it’s already a big improvement over the old one. I already talked a bit about some of the changes made to the design, the layout and the content, but the new look is just a small part of the redesign, a lot of work has been done on the back-end as well and as you might have previously read a lot of it has to do with using semantic HTML5 elements to structure the website. On top of that I made several changes to how I manage and organize content, as well as, optimized the code. Read more »
I recently had a post in which I talked all about how the name of the site should really only use
<h1> on the front page, and on the other pages it should take a backseat to whatever header the content has (post title for example). Well, I just ran into a problem related to that approach with the new design. Before I proceed though I must confess, the title of this post is sensationalist because the problem isn’t big. The issue is with the category pages – my design does not include a category title on a category page. Read more »
So I already talked about the HTML5 rewrite of my blog’s code, but now I want to go over the design and the layout – what’s different and what’s new. Before that I’ll just quickly say that I’m making great progress – basically the main structure and the front page are done and working, on my local server; now I just need to do the individual pages, as well as the single-post page and it’ll be ready to go.
So in terms of the design itself, the new theme is still dark (i.e. white on black) but instead of the bright yellow as one of the main colours, I’m now using pale blue. Despite that the site actually seems to be more colourful. This is because in the current theme I feel that yellow is much too strong to use for titles or links, which means that all the text is white and looks very bland. With the more subtle blue I am able to use it for titles, links, as well as other elements on the page – giving the whole thing a livelier look. In addition to that I plan to use more post images, hopefully infusing the front page with a bit more colour, while still preserving the two-tone theme. You can check out the preview on the left for a closer look. Read more »
I recently saw a presentation by Joost de Valk (a.k.a. Yoast) about SEO, or more specifically about how to make sure your content is found (which is also the title of the presentation). It was a very well made presentation – good pace, straightforward, a lot of great tips, and I ended up gaining many new insights into the topic. If you’re interested in the topic and have 40 minutes to spare, I highly recommend watching it.
Joost breaks up the task of getting more people to read your content into four steps. Read more »
So the new look for the IliaDraznin.com is up. There were some teething pains (categories disappeared there for half a day or so), but it all seems to be working out now. Biggest addition, other than the new design, is the Syntax Highlighter script, to make all those code chunks look nice.
There are still a few features missing but I’ll be adding those in the upcoming weeks. Anyway, it’s back to our regular scheduled programming now.
Well, it’s been a while since my last post but I’m back and I’ll make sure to start posting more often.
Right now I’m finalizing an all new (and original) design for the blog; it’s gonna be minimalistic and dark. In the meantime I’m also redoing categories, cleaning up the tags and modifying small things here and there, as part of the preparations for the new design.