Moving the world off Internet Explorer 6 – the right way

Even Microsoft is sick of Internet Explorer 6, and they have finally started making a real push to get people to stop using it and upgrade to a better browser. They even started a website dedicated to tracking the, hopefully dwindling, use of IE6 – http://ie6countdown.com/. On this website they encourage people to spread the word on twitter via the #ie6countdown hashtag, and they also offer a banner you can put on your website, that would only appear to IE6 users and it encourages them to upgrade to a better browser. Naturally the better browser being IE9. Or is it? Read more »

How to do a header without a header – tiny solution to a big problem

I recently had a post in which I talked all about how the name of the site should really only use <h1> on the front page, and on the other pages it should take a backseat to whatever header the content has (post title for example). Well, I just ran into a problem related to that approach with the new design. Before I proceed though I must confess, the title of this post is sensationalist because the problem isn’t big. The issue is with the category pages – my design does not include a category title on a category page. Read more »

Site redesign update

So I already talked about the HTML5 rewrite of my blog’s code, but now I want to go over the design and the layout – what’s different and what’s new.  Before that I’ll just quickly say that I’m making great progress – basically the main structure and the front page are done and working, on my local server; now I just need to do the individual pages, as well as the single-post page and it’ll be ready to go.

IliaDraznin.com v2.0So in terms of the design itself, the new theme is still dark (i.e. white on black) but instead of the bright yellow as one of the main colours, I’m now using pale blue. Despite that the site actually seems to be more colourful. This is because in the current theme I feel that yellow is much too strong to use for titles or links, which means that all the text is white and looks very bland. With the more subtle blue I am able to use it for titles, links, as well as other elements on the page – giving the whole thing a livelier look. In addition to that I plan to use more post images, hopefully infusing the front page with a bit more colour, while still preserving the two-tone theme. You can check out the preview on the left for a closer look. Read more »

Site name shouldn’t use <h1> on every page. Duh!

Unless it’s on the home page of course.

I’ve been using <h1> for site name in my designs since forever, and somehow, with all the reading up on SEO and best practices that I’ve been doing, I still managed to miss the fact that that shouldn’t be the case unless it’s on the home page. Of course it completely makes sense and is so obvious I should smack myself upside the head for not seeing this sooner. Read more »

Re-writing my blog with HTML5

I have recently started working on a new design for my blog. Initially the idea was to just refresh the look and make the layout more flexible (the current über minimalistic layout doesn’t lend itself easily to adding more types of content, like blogroll for example), but as the design phase was wrapping up and I started thinking about the code I realized that this was a great opportunity to do something I wanted to do with it for a long time – convert it to HTML5. Below I go over the new redesign and some of the ideas and reasons behind the things that I do and the way I do them. Read more »

Better jQuery Placeholder Plugin

A while back I made a post about a simple placeholder script I wrote. The idea was to provide the placeholder functionality that browsers like Chrome and Safari have, to browsers that don’t have it, like Firefox and IE. The script was very simple though and not smart in a few ways, including inability to handle password fields and an incorrect way of checking placeholder support in the browser. Since then I wrote an improved version of the script, in the form of a jQuery plugin. The highlights of this improved script include

  • proper use of jQuery’s plugin framework to create a fully chain-able plugin
  • support for password fields and text areas
  • correct check for placeholder support in browser
  • and just overall a better written piece of code

You can see a demo of the plugin in action and download the commented source file (4.7kb),  or the minified source file (1.7kb), or the clean (not minified but not commented) source file (2.6kb). Below I’ll go over some of the more interesting parts of script. Read more »

Yoast talks about Making Sure Your Content is Found

I recently saw a presentation by Joost de Valk (a.k.a. Yoast) about SEO, or more specifically about how to make sure your content is found (which is also the title of the presentation). It was a very well made presentation – good pace, straightforward, a lot of great tips, and I ended up gaining many new insights into the topic. If you’re interested in the topic and have 40 minutes to spare, I highly recommend watching it.

Joost breaks up the task of getting more people to read your content into four steps. Read more »

jQuery 1.5 is out

The jQuery team has released a new version of their awesome framework – jQuery 1.5. While not seemingly as significant as the 1.4 release, they made quite a few major changes under the hood.

On top the various bug fixes and performance enhancements one of the major changes in jQuery 1.5 is a complete rewrite of the Ajax module.

Perhaps the largest change is that a call to jQuery.ajax (or jQuery.get, jQuery.post, etc.) now returns a jXHR object that provides consistency to the XMLHttpRequest object across platforms (and allows you to perform previously-impossible tasks like aborting JSONP requests).

Read more »

Page 4 of 8« First...23456...Last »